Remote digital proofing is the ability
to send a digital file to a remote location to output a proof. Technological
advances in digital proofing systems, improved color calibration software,
and a wide variety of file transfer options, now make it possible to
send files to any location in order to have a digital proof made. Using
the file transfer options saves time and money by eliminating the need
for overnight courier services and streamlining the proof-approval process.
For the file transfer to be an effective
process, you need the following:
- A reliable, fast, and cost-effective method to transfer the file
such as a high-speed connection (ISDN or faster), either through Internet
access or a private network. The speed of transferring files may vary
depending on the size of your files and how often you send them.
- Software that allows onscreen viewing and proofing over a network
so that people in different locations can collaborate on a project
interactively. People can make notations on different layers labeled
with their name and see the comments of other proofreaders as well.
- A color-management system that is accurate across several different
computers. Using a color management system such as Apple's ColorSync
allows you to apply profiles to an onscreen image, which then displays
the impact of press or proof profiles. The onscreen
densitometer shows the effect of a specific combination of
press, paper, and ink on the final output.
- A reliable and consistent proofing device with controlled calibration.
Are the proofs used for evaluating color or just for content? Knowing
how the proof will be used makes a difference on how exact the color
needs to be.
- A color target for the proof and a way to guarantee color at the
- Does the digital color proofing system have a means to adjust
the color target to standard industry specifications?
- Can the system match color to any press or color conditions?
- Does the system produce consistent and repeatable color?
- Is consistency measured and the results guaranteed